Monday, March 28, 2011

Zero to sixty in .002 seconds

I love my husband very much.  He is my childhood sweetheart, which means we've been together for more than half of our lives.  We have so many memories, good and bad, though the good have always outnumbered the bad, and I am lucky to have such a wonderful man in my life.  Occasionally, however, I feel the need to throttle him.  Take Saturday night, for instance.  We were both exhausted to the bone because Matěj had, for the previous week, decided to wake every day at 4:15 a.m.   On this fateful night, I was just drifting off into a fitful sleep after being awakened a mere half hour after my own bedtime by Matěj crying through the baby monitor, when Pavel pounds me in the back:

Pavel, frantic: "Oh my god, oh my god!!  He's not breathing!  Rusty's not breathing!!"
Me, in a confused terror, freaking out not only about our dog having died, but also about the fact that I have a deathly phobia of, well, dead things: "What?!!??!!"
Pavel, calmly: "Oh, never mind."  [Apparently, Rusty wasn't responding quickly enough to Pavel's prodding, but then sleepily raised his head in acknowledgement.]

Now, I don't know about you, but when my heart is forced to zoom from zero to sixty in .002 seconds, I am not able to instantly sink back into a peaceful slumber.  My mind had launched into a maddening buzz, full of dark thoughts while the rest of the house snored away quietly.

1 comment: