Monday, May 23, 2011

Smell me

If you didn't already know from previous posts, you most likely know from personal experience that my wonderful husband is occasionally, shall we say, challenged in the communication department, and often only an individual blessed with a strong aura of extra sensory perception is able to detect the actual subject of his message.  His deficit has improved marginally over the years, but every once in a while, he comes up with some gems, like the one he relayed to me this weekend:

Pavel enjoys a particular Ethiopian restaurant near his office, though often no one wants to accompany him because of the fact that eating there results in the diner wearing what they eat.  Not literally (unless, like me, you happen to fall into the category of those with coordination issues), but your clothes soak up the aroma of the spices in the food they serve, which are delightful if you're eating, not so much if you're in a meeting trying to focus on the recent budgetary crisis.  However, last week Pavel finally had the chance to eat there again, fully knowing the effects the food will have on his wardrobe.  Upon returning to his office, he decided to test his theory on his employees at the front desk (who shall remain anonymous, for the sake of preserving their dignity):

Pavel: "Smell me and tell me what I ate."
Employee, with an aghast look on her face: "What?"
Pavel: "C'mon, smell my sleeve."
Employee, embarrassed: "Oh, I thought you farted and wanted me to smell it!"
[After this response, Pavel decided not to press the issue...]

Seriously, though, what would you do if your boss came up to you and said "Smell me and tell me what I ate?"  Well, now you have to opportunity to envision what it might be like to work with my husband, and maybe you may even have a small glimpse into the life of someone living with a communicationally-challenged individual.  I wonder if there is a support group...

No comments:

Post a Comment